It’s great that you are asking what you should do after your tattoo removal treatment rather than just wondering what will happen to you. You are a partner in this tattoo removal journey, and there are definitely some positive steps you can take that will help your body with the healing process. We will also tell you some actions to avoid.
What to do:
- Pay attention to the aftercare instructions that your technician gives you on the day of your treatment. This is a great time to ask any questions that come to mind.
- You’ll be given an ice pack to cool your skin down while you are still with us, but continue to apply ice packs or cold compresses on the first day to prevent any soreness you may experience.
- Get plenty of rest. Research shows that sleep can help your immune system heal your body.
• More white blood cells are made when you are asleep, and these are the cells that actively fight pathogens or infections.
• Sleep releases hormones that slow breathing and relax your muscles. This can reduce any inflammation you may have.
• While you are asleep, hormones can regulate your stress levels, another factor in staying healthy.
• A recent German research study showed that quality sleep can improve immune cells called T cells
- Eat nutritious food. Food plays an important role in keeping your immune system healthy.Some minerals and vitamins that help the function of immune cells are iron, Vitamins A, C, D, and E, and zinc. These micronutrients are found in foods such as:
- Citrus fruits and blueberries
- Dark chocolate (hooray!)
- Red bell peppers
- Broccoli and spinach
- Oily fish, such as salmon
- Sunflower seeds
Basically, you can’t go wrong eating a well-balanced diet that features fresh fruit and vegetables, lean proteins, nuts, seeds, legumes, and fish.
- Stay active: Moderate exercise strengthens the immune system in several ways. What is moderate exercise? Well, you don’t have to start doing Olympic-type training exercises; moderate exercise is anything that gets your heart pumping faster (ideally, 50%-60% higher than when you aren’t moving).Just do what you enjoy doing; walk, bike, rake leaves, walk up and down stairs, dance…)
- Increases the circulation of your immune cells
- Helps tire you out so that you can get a decent night’s sleep
- Reduces inflammation
- Lowers stress levels
- Drink plenty of water: Hydration is essential for overall health, but it is also important in healing. When you have a wound, your blood brings oxygen and nutrients to the site to help with healing. Dehydration can prevent this.
What not to do:
- Don’t apply any creams, ointments, or bandages after your treatment. Your skin needs to be able to breathe.
- Do not attempt to pop or scratch any blisters that may develop on your laser removal site.
- Avoid high-pressure shower sprays (although you can have a shower!)
- Stay away from hot tubs and pools for a few days, and don’t soak in long, hot baths.
- Keep out of the direct sun. That doesn’t mean you have to be confined to the house: just make sure to apply sunblock with an SPF of at least 50 and cover up as much as possible.
- Don’t smoke. According to the CDC, smoking can negatively affect the balance of the immune system.
- Avoid stress (as much as possible). Several government studies in the past decade have shown that stress negatively affects healing. So – don’t worry about the news, and don’t stress about your tattoo removal process. You’re doing great!
All of these dos and don’ts are positive habits to cultivate in general, so if the laser tattoo removal process is what got you on this healthy journey – well, you’re welcome! At Ink-B-Gone, we welcome all questions, and we promise to be absolutely transparent with you every step of the way.
You may also find these articles helpful:
5 Remedies for Blistering After Laser Tattoo Removal
What Does the Laser Tattoo Removal Healing Process Look Like?
Every person and every tattoo is different, so ask our experts!
When you’re ready to look into laser tattoo removal, it’s important to find a professional and expert technician you trust. Before you commit to anything, you can come in for a free consultation here at Ink-B-Gone, the leading laser tattoo removers in Colorado. We are conveniently located in Denver, but many of our clients visit us from out of state.
Or follow us on our socials for more helpful tips and guidance:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/INKBGONE
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/inkbgone/?hl=en